Last updated: July 12, 2022
Knives.com a Utah corporation, (“We” or "Knives.com”) respects your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website, www.knives.com (the “Website”), or view or engage with Knives.com social media accounts or any social media accounts or content affiliated with Knives.com (the “Online Platforms”), and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On the Website;
- On the Online Platforms;
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website;
- When you register to be a brand ambassador;
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services; or
- About you through both online or offline interactions.
- Knives.com collects certain information about you either through your use of the Website, the Online Platforms, or through information you provide to us as described under "Information We Collect and Use” below.
- Knives.com may share certain information you provide in connection with our Website and Online Platforms with carefully selected third parties as described under "Information We Collect and Share with Others” below.
- You can view and update certain information about you that Knives.com maintains in its database as described under "How to Update and Correct Personal and Account Information” below.
- Knives.com may send you email notices regarding products and services. If you wish, you can remove yourself from our email list at any time as described under "Communications to Our Customers” below.
- Knives.com is available to answer your questions about our privacy practices.
1. Information We Collect and Use
There are times when we collect information from you through our Website and Online Platforms. This occurs when you register to post comments, reviews, pictures, or other content on the Knives.com Website or Online Platforms.
The information we collect about you (“Personal Information”) may include:
Additional examples of information we may collect include the following:
You also may provide information to be published or displayed on public areas of the Website or Online Platforms, or transmitted to other users of the Website, Online Platforms or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”), such as (but not limited to) product reviews. By submitting any User Contribution, you grant us a license to use that content for our own internal purposes and to publish it on our Website or Online Platforms AND RELEASE US FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR THE CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ARISING OUT OF THAT THIRD PARTY’S ACCESS TO YOUR USER CONTRIBUTION.
Personal Information collected on our Website or Online Platforms is used in several ways:
We may also use Personal Information for business purposes such as:
In addition to Personal Information, Knives.com also uses various methods to collect information about your device and behavior when you use the Website (“usage information”) including:
- Personal Information
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website or Online Platforms;
- Information provided when you register to use our Website or purchase products from us by which you may be personally identified, such as name, mailing address, e-mail address, payment information, or telephone number;
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website or Online Platforms and the fulfillment of your orders;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes; or
- We may share personal contact information with our business partners when you participate in promotions, sweepstakes, contests or giveaways on the Website or Online Platforms.
- Identifiers such as an alias, unique personal identifier, online identifiers, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers;
- Signature, physical characteristics or description, state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, medical information, or health insurance information;
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (sex, race, religion, color, national origin, age, handicaps);
- Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies;
- Biometric information;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement;
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information;
- Professional or employment-related information;
- Education information;
- Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this section to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes; or
- Any other information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you or your household.
- How We Use Your Personal Information
- To provide you with information or to ask you to participate in surveys about products, services, news, and events;
- To allow you to post comments, reviews, pictures, or other content on the Website or Online Platforms;
- To aggregate information in order to understand general user trends;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, such as (but not limited to) fulfillment, billing, or collection; or
- For any other legitimate business activities not otherwise prohibited by law.
- Auditing related to a current interaction with you and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with the law and other standards;
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Short-term, transient use, provided that the Personal Information is not disclosed to another third party and is not used to build a profile about you or otherwise alter your experience outside the current interaction, including, but not limited to, the contextual customization of ads shown as part of the same interaction;
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services, or providing similar services;
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration;
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us; or
- Any commercial purposes, including any purpose to advance your commercial or economic interests, such as by inducing you to buy, rent, lease, join, subscribe to, provide, or exchange products, goods, property, information, or services, or enabling or effecting, directly or indirectly, a commercial transaction.
- Usage Information
- Network information
- To aggregate information in order to understand general user trends;
- Device information
- Preferences (e.g. notification preferences)
- Referrers - A "referrer" is any information passed along by a web browser that references a web URL that led you to the Website. Referrers are automatically collected by our web server and used by Knives.com to identify the websites referring traffic to our download pages, and to present tailored content to our potential customers. Referrer information is also tabulated by Knives.com on an aggregated basis to identify general trends and traffic patterns. From time to time, Knives.com may enter into agreements with content partners that require Knives.com to count the number of product downloads or product sales stemming from referrals from a content partner website. This information is collected, used, and aggregated by Knives.com to fulfill the reporting requirements of those agreements. This information may also be combined with referrer information and tabulated on an aggregated basis to identify general trends and traffic patterns.
- Network Information - We collect certain information about the networks you use to connect with the Website. For example, IP addresses are used by your device every time you are connected to the Internet. Your IP address is a number that is used by devices on the network to identify your device so that data (such as the web pages you request) can be sent to you. We may also collect other information about your network, such as cellular network information, timing information, and other technical information, according to the settings on your device. This data is automatically collected by our web server.
- System Information - System information we collect might include, among other things, MAC addresses, the type of web browser being used, operating system type and version, hardware platform make, model, or version, geolocation information, and CPU speed. This information is sent automatically by your web browser when you are connected to a website, according to your device’s settings, and is used by Knives.com only for broad demographic statistics. This information is used by Knives.com to identify broad trends and may be used to provide tailored content, or to format information appropriately for your computer system.
- Do Not Track Signals - Most web browsers can be configured to automatically transmit a "Do Not Track" signal to websites and online services that you visit. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what "Do Not Track" means in this context. Like many websites and online services, the Website does not alter its operations when receiving a "Do Not Track" signal from a visitor's browser. To find out more about "Do Not Track", you may visit https://www.allaboutdnt.com.
2. Information We Collect and Share with Others
At times, we must disclose relevant information about our customers to our business partners. For example, when customers use a credit card, the customer's credit card number is submitted to the credit institution for normal, routine processing. We might also need to disclose certain information to our contractors, so that they may perform services for us. Knives.com requires such contractors and business partners to keep your information confidential. Knives.com may disclose Personal Information to such contractors and business partners without additional notice.
Advertisements displayed on the Website might be delivered by an advertising management service. When you view advertising on a page of our Website, an advertising service company might place a cookie on your computer. Knives.com does not provide any of your Personal Information to the advertising service without providing you an opportunity to opt out. You may disable cookies in your browser if you do not wish to receive cookies from advertising servers. You may also learn more about cookies and your ability to opt-out of certain third-party advertising cookies by visiting the following website: http://www.aboutads.info/choices. Knives.com, these advertisers, and other third parties may collect personal information from users of the Website over time and across different websites or services.
As an example, we engage third-party service providers that may place cookies on our behalf, such as Google, which conducts analytics about the use of the Website, such as analyzing and tracking use of the certain online functions, counting the number of unique users of our Website, seeing how users interact with different functions, determining the popularity of certain content, and better understanding your online activity. By accessing the Website, you consent to the collection and use of your information by these third-party vendors. You are encouraged to review their privacy policies and contact them directly for responses to your questions. For Google, you can use the Google Analytics opt out browser add-on (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en).
If you do not want any information to be collected and used by third-party tracking technologies, you can exercise some choice over such tracking by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative Opt-Out Tool (http://optout.networkadvertising.org) or the Digital Advertising Alliance Opt-Out Tool (https://optout.aboutads.info). Even if you disable tracking, keep in mind that you may still receive interest-based advertising, including from third parties with whom your information had been previously disclosed or advertising from third parties that is not based on your interests and preferences.
We may also disclose to others the information collected by Knives.com regarding your access and use of the Website, provided that it is de-identified and aggregated with other data.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
3. Third Party Websites
Knives.com might provide links to websites operated by others or to social media accounts created and maintained by others, and which we do not control the privacy practices. If you use those links, you will leave the Website or the Online Platforms, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to review the privacy practices of such third-party websites before providing any of your personal information. Complaints, claims, concerns, or questions regarding these third-party privacy practices should be directed to the third party.
4. How to Update and Correct Personal and Account Information
We strive to keep our records of the information collected in the registration process accurate, and we will promptly update our records when you update your information at our Website. It is easy and simple to update your information:
- On every page in the top right is a "Login Status" control ("My Account").
- If not signed in to your account, click "My Account" to log in.
- Once signed in, your "Login Status" will now show you as signed in, there will also be links for editing your account information ("Address Book", "Email Address", "Personal Details", etc.) and logging out ("Sign Out") of the system.
To edit your account, click the appropriate section that you'd like to update. Once in the section to be updated, you can update or correct the information you have previously submitted.
5. Communications to Our Customers
From time to time, Knives.com may provide information and special offers to you. We will communicate with you by email unless you tell us you do not wish to receive emails from us. You can opt out of this service by clicking on the unsubscribe link containing within each of these emails or by contacting us directly at [email protected].
7. Governing Law
8. Limitation of Liability
9. California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties. To make such a request, please send an email to [email protected], or call us toll-free at 1-800-460-1698.
The California Consumer Privacy Act gives California residents the right to:
To submit a request, we are required to verify your identity. Please be prepared to provide us with name, email address, physical address and/or date of birth. We will match the personal information that you provide to us with personal information that we already maintain about you in order to verify your identity. We may also need to contact you to confirm your request.
You may also designate an authorized agent to make such requests on your behalf by providing your authorized agent with power of attorney or providing us with written permission that you have authorized the agent to act on your behalf.
We may not be able to honor each request that we receive, but if we are unable to do so, we will respond to let you know our reasons. We will not discriminate against you if you choose to exercise any of your rights as described in this section.
10. European Privacy Rights
We do not intentionally market our products, this Website or our Online Platforms to, or track the behavior of, anyone in the European Economic Area. If you are located in the European Economic Area, please do not use this Website, our Online Platforms or purchase our products. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions.
We reserve the right to limit access to our Website and Online Platforms if you are located in the European Economic Area.
11. Children under the Age of 13
Our Website and Online Platforms are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any Personal Information using the Website or Online Platforms. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use this Website or our Online Platforms. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at [email protected].
We do not sell the personal information of California consumers that are less than 16 years of age, unless the consumer (in the case of consumers between 13 and 16 years of age) or the consumer’s parent or guardian (in the case of consumers who are less than 13 years of age) has affirmatively authorized the sale of the consumer’s personal information.
12. Contact Us
- Request that a business delete any personal information about the consumer which the business has collected from the consumer.
- Request that a business that collects personal information about the consumer disclose to the consumer, free of charge, the following:
- The categories of personal information that it has collected about that consumer.
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom the business shares personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information it has collected about that consumer.
- Request that a business that sells the consumer’s personal information, or that discloses it for a business purpose disclose, free of charge, to the consumer:
- The categories of personal information that the business collected about the consumer.
- The categories of personal information that the business sold about the consumer and the categories of third parties to whom the personal was sold, by category or categories of personal information for each third party to whom the personal information was sold.
- The categories of personal information that the business disclosed about the consumer for a business purpose.
- Direct a business that sells personal information about the consumer to third parties not to sell the consumer’s personal information.
- You may e-mail us at [email protected]
- You may call us at 1-800-460-1698.