Robeson Shuredge date?

General forum for Factory Folders

Moderators: Macabee, Daithi

Robeson Shuredge date?

Postby jps » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:13 pm

My dad gave me one of his old pocketknives. He doesn't remember when or who he got it from. It is a Robeson, model number 511224. I am trying to figure out how old it is. I have checked as much info. on the net as possible. As far as I know, Robeson line ended in 1977. The blade on the knife says Rochester ShurEdge (underlined in cursive) Rochester, N.Y.--the internet source says this could date it from 1911 to 1921 (my great grandfather's knife) or 1922 to 1939 (my grandfather was born in 1921). However, the knife's model number (other side of blade) indicates that the handle could be made from delrin (a polymer invented in 1952). If it helps, the bolster of the knife has RCC stamped horizontally (not up and down) into it in (what I would call) block caligraphy print. Also, the knife looks like a very large barlow or jack knife with a black handle (worn brown around edges). I am not interested in the value of the knife (it's in used condition--only recently realized what it could be), only its age (who in my family it could have belonged to). Thank You for any information.[/u]
jps
User
User

Postby Daithi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:26 am

511224 = Daddy Barlow, 5 inch blade, stag handle.
5 = handle material, Stag.
1 = # of blades.
1 = steel liners and steel bolsters.
224 = factory pattern numbers.
Robeson Cutlery Company = pre 1922.
"Robeson Shuredge" = anywhere from 1922 to 1977.
I can find no reference for "Rochester Shuredge".
ShurEdge Rochester, N.Y. indicates a knife made between 1922 to 1977.
RCC refers to "Robeson Cutlery Co" and indicates a possible pre 1922 knife.
Something in the back of my mind is a little voice saying that a law was passed at some point maybe during the 50's or 60's mandating the U.S.A. tang stamp on at least every factory knife made in the US after that time. The lack of a U.S.A. stamp pushes the knife back beyond that point but how far beyond is difficult to say. I suspect the knife is pre 1950's. The use of Rochester Shuredge instead of Robeson Shuredge might even place it pre 1922 along with the RCC on the bolster. The trade name "Shuredge" was first adopted in 1901 so Shuredge does not preclude an earlier knife. Sorry I can't be more definite and hope I have not confused the situation further. If you find the definitive answer to your question please let us know. Meanwhile if I find more sources I'l amend this post to reflect further info.
Daithi
User
User

Oops.

Postby jps » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:05 am

Sorry, I added to the confusion myself. The tang of the blade is marked Robeson (not Rochester) ShurEdge (in cursive) Rochester, N.Y.--Sorry about that typo. Thank You for sharing your knowledge.
jps
User
User

Return to Factory Folders